Powered By Blogger

4/3/11

ART. JEAN-MICHEL OTHONIEL. MY WAY.

“Sulphur came into play amongst the photo-sensitive materials. At first, I used it in my installations 
to outline particular spaces. Despite its apparent beauty, which is always a characteristic of my work, 
I found it a rather vulgar substance linked to dejection. I used sulphur powder: yellow sulphur is not 
a particularly beautiful colour. The choice was also in tune with my desire to use material which had 
never been used by other artists. It is a vulgar material, but, equally, one which because of its association 
with volcanoes has always fascinated me. Then, above all, as the titles of my works are always descriptive 
and very important, the word soufre [sulphur] allowed me to make extremely poetic associations: 
soufre, souffrir, souffreteux, sulfureux [sulphur, to suffer, sickly, controversial]… this led to the birth 
of the works, almost in order to illustrate the title.”

 Paris, tearing my heart.
..to be continued

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

ранее..